Friday, October 2, 2009

Week 5 coming to a close

This week has sailed by leaving only the long run of 10 miles tomorrow. It blows my mind that I am not nervous about 10 miles. It feels totally doable.
I have been trying out energy packs on my longer runs. The running store steered me to GU Chomps, which are like a big fruit snack.

The nice thing about them over a energy gel is that you are not forced to eat a whole package. On my 8 mile day, I ate one at miles 4,5, & 6. I didn't want my stomach to be full all at once of a "jelly" snack and it seemed to really agree with me. Then I just folded the package and put the rest in my belt for next time.
I also picked up a hydration belt, an amphipod belt. The bottles click in and can be worn vertical or horizontal. I opted to get the one with 2 larger bottles and a pouch. The pouch is great, holds my mace, phone, keys etc... oh my Chomps too! I thought I would wear it low on my hips, but in order to make it stay put, I had to make it really tight which wasn't comfortable for me. I actually wear it slightly above my natural waist so that my ribs help keep it in place without squeezing my stomach. Not very fashion forward, but oh well!

I really like having water with me and having my hands free.
This is the last week of 3 miles being the short runs and I am so glad. 3 miles doesn't seem long enough and I hardly feel like I'm in my grove before it's over. Sick, isn't it? Who knew I would come to feel this way about running. I have totally been converted and transformed! Two more weeks of training, a week of tapering and then it's here. I am getting a few butterflies in my stomach since I turned the calendar page and can see the date marked out. I keep trying to put it out of my mind so that I don't start getting anxious about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment