Friday, October 9, 2009

It was the best of days. It was the WORST of days.

I did not want to run at all yesterday. I AM TIRED. I AM SORE. I AM WHINEY.
I needed to run 4 miles yesterday to finish up my training week. I made the mistake of not making myself get ready for it in the morning. I should have had Rebecca come and watch Charlotte when I took the big girls to school, but I wasn't in the mood. What I wanted to do was come home and sleep during Charlotte's nap. That didn't happen since Charlotte fell asleep in the car 5 minutes from home and then wouldn't stay asleep when I moved her to her bed. All day I knew that I needed to run and all day I kept thinking...LATER. Later. later.
Finally about 3pm I realized that if I didn't run now I wouldn't run at all. So I suited up and stretched out. Grumpily down the driveway and to the road. I could not have been in a worse state of mind when I started. On top of tired, sore and whiney, I felt like I was moving in slow motion. My feet began to hurt. My calves began to hurt. I've never struggled so much. I felt like I had the angel/devil thing going on. The devil side kept saying: "Turn back, you're hurting. This can't be good for you. You are fine, you don't need this run today. How about just 3 miles or even just 2?"
Then the angel side reminded me: "Tinsa is training this week too, how can you expect her to train if you won't do your part? 4 miles is no big deal, why are you letting yourself off the hook?"
I stopped and loosened my shoe laces and it was as if I started the whole run over. My body finally engaged. My mind was changed. I was so glad when I got to the 4 mile turn around that I had made myself overcome ME.
I have to power to will myself. I can do this even when I'm not in the mood. Geez, think of what all I wouldn't do if I was waiting to be in the mood. My kids would never go to school or eat most days as a matter of fact. I probably wouldn't get out of bed. Being "in the mood" is not a prerequisite for my life. This is what makes for a good run. The fact that I can. I can overcome. I can finish. 11 miles tomorrow.
miles: 4
Miles this week (so far): 13

No comments:

Post a Comment