Sunday, October 25, 2009

I did it!!!!!

Yesterday was the big day...race day.
We headed up to Portland on Saturday at lunch time. The packet pick up was from 10-3, so I wanted to be sure to be there early. The biggest thing for me was the overwhelming feeling of having no idea what is going on. Apparently I should have gone online and written down my bib number, so thankfully they had print outs so I could find myself. I felt anxious all day. Jonah did his best to keep me relaxed. We did a little shopping down town and then out to dinner. I was in bed by 9:30 and hoped for a good nights sleep. No such luck. I kept thinking in my mind that it was almost time to wake up but it was only 12:30...2:15....4...I tossed and turned all night trying to reassure myself that the book says it's okay if you can't sleep the night before. Just stay in bed! My eyes were so tired when I got up, I couldn't even get my contacts in for the first 45 minutes. Sunday was supposed to be a really rainy day but the weather held! We headed out of the hotel around 6:45. Jonah was going to drop me off by the start. Traffic around the square was nuts and we ended up stuck on the max line with the bus honking at us! I jumped out so Jonah could just get out of there, but in my haste, left my hydration belt on the floor. I realized it moments later but Jonah was already blocks away. It took some effort, but he did manage to get turned around and close enough for me to grab it! Tinsa and I wandered around the square. It was kind of an amazing sight. Hundreds of people milling around. The line to the bathroom was ridiculous. About 25% of the people were in costume. That was entertaining...I couldn't believe anyone would even run a 10k wearing a halloween costume! Finally the 10 minute warning, so Tinsa and I headed out of the square up to the start line. That's when I saw them. ALL the rest of the people that we were running with! It was insane! More then 2 full city blocks solid of runners! They said more then 4000 people ran the 1/2 marathon, 10k and 5k.
We were so far back that we couldn't even hear the start gun. We could just see a sea of people in the distance turning the corner. I don't even know how long it took us to cross the start. People were weaving around us and we were trying to get around the walkers. It was nuts! It got better once we hit the waterfront. My adrenaline was pumping...I felt breathless. It was so weird. I think it took me 3 miles to finally relax! The first 5 miles flew by. We ran up the waterfront and into the Pearl district. There was just so much to look at! By 6 miles we were headed up Barber Blvd and going UP hill. The course map said 4 miles of gentle incline. It wasn't too bad, but was discouraging to look ahead and all you see is hill! It didn't really matter to me, I was pumped up, channeling my dad's ADD! Tinsa was having a harder time then me. She has been fighting a leg injury and it began to start hurting. We had the last major up at the 10 mile mark, turning at the Fred Myer on to Turwilliger like we used to go to OHSU when Adrianne was a baby. I felt great at that point. I knew it was mostly down hill the last 3 miles and I knew that road well. I would have liked to turn on the gas a bit more at that point, but I knew that Tinsa needed me. We kept on pace and ran a great race. I will not forget passing the 12 mile mark and knowing that there was only 1 more mile to go. Jonah was waiting at the last corner (He had watched us at a few different places in the race). Then there it was...the finish line! I did it! 13.1 miles...check!
I don't have my official time yet, I will post it when it shows online. The lines in the square were worse at the finish then the start. We skipped even getting our free food. I felt so great afterwards that I walked with Jonah the mile back to our hotel. It was a great race and it totally made me want to do it again.

2 comments:

  1. You are the coolest, the best and I am SO PROUD OF YOU BECKY! Too bad we both started this running thing after I moved away ;( I would have liked to run with you- for now my ipod keeps me company...but it isn't the same as a friend. Keep it up!! When is your marathon??Oh, I see it up there, may. You will be so ready-you are da bomb girl.

    Just reading your post makes me want to do it too!!! But, then I think of the pain and I talk myself out of it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! You did it!! I knew you could, and I thought of you when I knew it was race day... Congrats - so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete