Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pain in the butt....

Literally I have one. It came on after my long run on Saturday...only 9 miles, go figure. I wasn't worried about it at first because random "pains" have become a normal part of this training process. I was starting to get antsy on Tuesday when it still was bothering me, but the 3 miles that day went fine. Yesterday I had to go out for a 5 mile run and I was nervous. It is more then a "I'm sore" pain. It is a "I am hurt, maybe I should lay down" pain. Everything in me the first mile was telling myself to stop and go back home and the more I thought about it the more upset I began to feel. Would I even be able to run the Marathon at all? Did I really do all this training just to hurt my butt muscle 2 weeks before? If I can't even run 1 mile then how can I expect to run 26.2 miles in 10 days? My confidence was seriously undercut.
I did manage to pull it together. I thought to myself, if this was my race day what would I do?? Quit? I slowed down. I focused. I prayed. I thought through my next few training runs, how can I set them to give myself an extra day or two to rest? The training book has been reviewing a lot lately about how much the race is mental. Maybe this little butt pain is a good thing to happen to me right now. A good reminder that I am going to need to lean not just in my fitness and my body, but my mind and will need to be on board too. I was able to get into my flow and the pain went away. I did my 5 miles and finished with a better attitude.
I am still sore today but will continue to nurse my "owie". I will hopefully be feeling strong again in a day or two, but you know, even if I am not, does it really matter? I will be running this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment