Saturday, February 20, 2010

Week 6, Check!

It has been an odd week. I personally have not been afraid since my "run in" with creepy bike guy, but I am getting lots of nagging by my parents. My dad really would like me to carry a handgun...what? He and my brother are gung ho about convincing me that it's a good idea. If I need a gun, then I shouldn't be running at all. I have been working hard to be mentally strong and not talk myself into being afraid of running alone.
Today was the perfect remedy. I ran later then normal, starting at 10:15. It was sunny and beautiful and I was so glad I listened to my gut and wore shorts. I had on my new brooks (can you believe that I've put 400 miles on a pair of shoes?), they have a gold emblem on them, I'm pretending they are my Olympic shoes. Not that I think I'm going to win gold. I AM however going to win a medal. I had a song stuck in my head and so I sang it and replayed it and before I knew it 5 1/2 miles had gone by and it was time to turn around.
With about 3 miles left to go, my inner leg and my arch began to ache a bit. I acknowledged it, like the book says to and reminded myself that I am getting stronger each time I run. I was working hard to try to keep my thinking in check. Then the best possible thing happened.
I was running the last 1 1/2 miles right near the golf course. I always watch the golfers and since it was so nice out, there were quite a few on the course. A group of guys were in the middle of the fairway getting ready to drive their balls the rest of the way to the green (I am faking my golf lingo...). I watched as one stepped up to his ball, swing hard and totally wiff it. The ball went maybe 20 feet and bounced back at him. He began to curse and swing his club at the ground. I couldn't help it...I laughed. Hard. LOUD. The group turned to look at me and began laughing too (minus fit throwing guy). The golfer apparently didn't think it was very nice of me to laugh because then he shouted something at me about finding a real sport. But it was already done for me. That was the lift I needed to smile the rest of the road back to my house. A good day.
Miles today: 11
Miles this week: 23
Miles this month: 63
Miles this Year: 119

1 comment:

  1. I would have laughed too! How could you not!? That man was taking himself way too seriously. :P

    ReplyDelete