Monday, February 15, 2010

Scary bike guy...take 2

A few weeks ago I got creeped out by a guy on a bike during my run. On my way out about 1/2 mile from my house he was walking his bike on the road. I didn't think much of it since I was going to be running for several miles and I figured he'd be gone by the time I was back. So I was really surprised to see him in the same spot 40 minutes later. He watched me approach (I got out my mace) and I passed him. At this point I was sprinting and trying to decide what to do. I was only a 1/2 mile from home, but I didn't want him to know where I was going, I don't know anyone in the houses around there, let alone if they were home. The weird part was that he never moved. I kept peeking back and he was just in the same spot. There are some turns before my driveway and so I couldn't see him when it was time for me to stop.
I think I'm pretty safe when I run out here in the country. First I always carry a cell phone and mace. I also never seem to run at the same time so if anyone was trying to establish a pattern for me, good luck. But you can never be too careful.
So today I had 4 miles to run. I hit the turn around point and didn't see anyone beside cars and golfers. But when I turned on to my street I noticed a different guy on a bike coming up behind me. At first I wasn't nervous. I have a very long length of road that is right next to the golf course and plenty of people were out playing. However, who knows why, this guy stayed about 50 feet behind me for about 1/2 mile. He chose to catch me and pass me near the golf course entrance where there is a large hill and bushes obscuring your view to the course. The last mile home is up hill and with few neighbors, I did not want to wonder what this guy was doing and if he would still be near me when I need to turn at my driveway. I really am not worried about being abducted. I just don't want any creepy people to know where I live. I decided to run to the club house and call for a ride home.
I don't like when these things happen and make me feel unsafe about running alone. The whole thing is probably totally innocent, but I am not taking my chances.
Miles today: 3 (one short)

No comments:

Post a Comment