Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I get by with a little help from my friends

This training has been so good for me. Since I have no official running partner, I am learning to dig deep to stay motivated and to train hard. It is a good feeling to know that you have mental toughness...guts....faith.
I mentioned a few weeks ago that sometimes I think about the mass of people who are also out there training for my race and that it helps me to imagine that we are all working together. It's been so fun lately to learn that I know some of the mass. A lady from my church, Ellen, who lives down the road and also my good friend Bethany are both training to run the 1/2 on the same day as my marathon. Yesterday on my way to town I spotted Ellen getting in her run and it just does something in my heart to have someone else to pull for. I got the privilege of running 6 miles with Bethany last night in Corvallis. It was a soggy run, but one of the most fun that I've had in awhile. I loved the change of scenery but most of all to get to run with a good friend, an old friend and create another link of things that bind us together. The miles flew by and before I knew it, we were done! Hopefully we can make our schedules mesh so we can do a few more runs together.
I've also been drawing inspiration lately from my friend Samantha who gets up at 4:30 every morning to walk. Monday when it was 27 degrees out at 8, I told myself that I had no reason to whine since she had long been out in the cold weather. It is amazing to me to see Samantha, Bethany, Ellen, Joan, Charlie and others I know, just make this work even though life is hectic and there are so many things drawing them other directions. I can keep going too.
Miles yesterday: 6
Miles this week: 10

1 comment:

  1. I TOO wish our schedules meshed a bit better. Any day that you'd like to head over you are welcome too- it is harder for me to get to Lebabnon because by the time I'd end up over there it would be soooo dark. It would be nice to have a hubby at home every other day!!!

    I'd come on a weekend one with you- but you are insaneo runner now with the distances.

    The only think I can think of is figuring out how to meet you part way through your long run on a Saturday- or going the first part with you.

    Wish it were easier to get to run with you :)

    ReplyDelete