Friday, August 14, 2009

To date...

I have been running consistently for 2 months now. It feels so good to pound out 4 miles no problem. My plan is to run 3 times a week (which is what I've already been running) for the next 2 weeks. I am up to running around 4 miles each day. Beginning the first week of September I will begin my 1/2 marathon training.
Why a 1/2 and not a full. Simple: Marathon training requires 16 weeks, plus several work up weeks to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping and there wasn't any marathons in my area that were 16 weeks or longer away from when I began running. My first full marathon option is the Eugene Marathon in May 2010. I plan to run in Portland's "Run Like Hell" 1/2 marathon on Oct 25, 2009. Then I will have 2 months of "downtime" before beginning marathon training in January.
I have a running partner, Tinsa, who is training with me. I am totally excited to have her...accountability, someone to understand what I'm doing, just the company sometimes. We are trying to run at least once each week together. She joined me on my run today. Made the miles fly by.
It feels good to have a personal goal in front of me. Having had 3 kids in the last five years has shifted my focus. There are very few things I do for myself anymore. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I do however, think that this is a very healthy goal. I am turning 30 this fall and I think it will be a fun way to mark this birthday. Changing it from having a somewhat negative tone, to something I am proud to say I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment