Friday, August 21, 2009

I am a marathoner

Running alone 2 of 3 days this week gives me plenty of time in my own thoughts. One of the first things the guide tells you to do is to start identifying yourself as a marathoner...to yourself and especially to others. This sounds so odd to me since the most I've run so far is 4 miles at one time. I know the point is to start to get your mental self thinking a new thing. But inevitably, I feel a little ridiculous stating it when I haven't run one yet. I guess that's why I need to blog and also sent out my email cry for help to my friends. It is going to be a habit to get into thinking of myself as a runner.
I have been thinking about how this is true for my spiritual life too. Way back in the day as a new Christian...Telling people that I was one but still figuring out how it would be possible to live like one. I remember writing millions of poems in those days expressing my fear of falling away. Now that I've been at it for 14 years, it is easy to identify myself as a Christian. I am still growing, there is still new things that Jesus speaks to me that I am and sometimes it takes some mental effort to believe them about myself.
One week left before official training starts. There is a little butterfly in my stomach that wonders if this is really possible (or have I really lost my marbles). Thankfully I have enough will/guts/trust to say something about myself that I am not yet, but God willing, will soon be.
Miles Today:4
Miles for the Week: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment