Saturday, May 15, 2010

What now?

It has been nearly 2 weeks since my big day. The stiffness is gone. The sore legs are gone. The euphoria is still present, but not as intense. Watching the video Jonah made (he's nearly done, I'll post it when he finishes) makes me choke up a little still. I'm still really proud.
I've been thinking about this week for months now. The weeks after...when I didn't HAVE to run. I've been saying: "Heck no...I will NOT be running for the rest of May".
But I have to say that I really miss it. I'm starting to think about running again when I drive the roads that I usually run on.
I still have this nagging pain in my hip that I wish would just go away because I'm not running. Apparently I'm going to have to actually do some work to cure it, like ice and stretch. Ugh.
Here is the million dollar question: What now? How do you "top" the experience of a marathon?
Since I am new to the world of running, I had no idea that there was such things as 50k or 100k or other Ultra-Marathons like 100mile marathons (I feel a little dumb that I thought a marathon was the longest race). I entertained the idea of an Ultra-Marathon for about 5 minutes before dismissing it as pure insanity and of no interest to me at this time. I say "at this time" because I know better than to say "never".
I am looking at completing a marathon in a more realistic way. If you look at it like a "high" then you will always be looking for a new higher high. I really don't need that extreme in my life. I'm filing it in my "once in a lifetime" experiences next to being at the Taj Mahal. I have the hope of doing it again (Now Bethany, that doesn't mean anytime soon) but if it never works out, I have this moment in my life that changed me. Challenged me.

No comments:

Post a Comment